Sunday, May 12, 2013

100. The 100-post Blog


Have you ever stopped to think about how the so-called globalization affects you?
I have. Proof of it is what I have tried to synthesize in my profile (see right on this page).
      1.  “We live in a bewilderingly complex world based on Information.”
In the first place, globalization does affect us deeply through the enticing attempts at sharing information. Every 24 hours, amounts of data – which are far from being accessible to one individual as such – are poured onto the World Wide Web. From a collective standpoint, this should be intrinsically fruitful – provided that you get to know precisely the item of information you are looking for. What is left for every one of us to hope is that, in due time, a super-item of information will emerge which might help humankind take a leap towards progress. It will surely be a leap of faith. 
    2.  “There is so much of it that we’ve somehow come to think we know more because it – the information – is out there.”

More often than not, it is exactly the huge amount of data which misleads us into thinking that we are by far more knowledgeable than, say, a person who lived in the 6th century BC. Or 5,000 years ago, for that matter! It is not the quantity which enables the leap, it’s its quality: its quality of attaining the quintessence of universality by tackling The Core of Things. In so doing, we are more likely to catch a glimpse of the Simple Truths; but wait: can anyone strive to do that? Is this always an individual endeavour, or does it take a “mentor” to lay out simple truths for you?
Google Images
    3.  “But everybody has a right to be wrong! Give yourself the benefit of the doubt. Question your answers.”

I am no exception: I, too – so to speak – have a right to be wrong! I was, and I admit it. While giving myself the benefit of the doubt, I am questioning my answers – in this case, the maintenance of a blog which started as a place for Community Language Learning; it was the perfect opportunity for me to see in what way additional work at this conflicting /Advanced level as an extension of the English class enables progress, at the same time granting a universal dimension to the teaching/learning process which I, as (I believe) hundreds of thousands of teachers of English worldwide, experience. But there are hundreds of thousands of such blogs, so Dare to know!
Google Images

Google Images
Virtual conversations stayed scarce, and this can hardly motivate a Blogger (in this case myself) to keep posting – unless the Blogger still believes it doesn't matter whether his or her visitors have a say. After switching to The Bare Necessities of the English Grammar there was even less feedback, which turns a blog like this into nothing else but the adventure of surfing solo across the World Wide Web. 

As far as the possibilities of the English language per se,  a time will come when nothing will have been left for the global community to say without stepping into plagiarism. Perhaps it will coincide with the moment in which the Myths about English will have been challenged one by one.

I still believe that there were intentions of feedback, which make me refrain from signing out altogether; but the blog will virtually remain exactly what the header says: Everything you always wanted to know about the English grammar* (* but were afraid to ask). Ask a question – any question. It will not take long until you receive an answer.  
Google Images

Sincerely yours,

EugeniaDG


8 comments:

  1. Hello Eugenia: I have a lot of questions but we are on holidays and I would prefer that you recommend us some books to read that can help us to learn English. Some novels, tales...
    Thank you very much and enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Paz

    Questionas are always welcome, and I promised to answer, so just ask!

    You say you would prefer that I should recommend readers to you...Bur recommending books is not easy when one doesn't know what genre the reader enjoys.

    Anyway, if you start with the "classics" it will be all right. Thhis is the best way to get to the core of the speaker's sensitivity, Let's say Alice's Advendures in Wonderland? And then Gulliver's Travels. I'd very much like us to comment on them when you have finished reading!

    http://www.literature.org/authors/carroll-lewis/alices-adventures-in-wonderland/
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/829

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love that Carrol's book and the best is that I don't remember the end. I'll read it and then Gulliver's Travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then there's the sequel "Through the Looking-Glass", but there Alice turns rather philosophical. It is worth a try!

      Thanks, Paz.
      Happy Reading!

      Delete
    2. This summer we are going to enjoy reading in English with these classics books.
      thanks!

      Delete
    3. I hope so, 'cause there's no greater joy that I know of than having time to live in a good book!

      Delete
  4. Hello Eugenia. Your blog is good¡¡¡¡
    You could improve it by adding a "summary" for easy access to old posts.
    See this sample blog: "http://redparsley.blogspot.co.uk/"
    - "My Posts So Far (by subject)"
    - "Blog Archive"
    thanks¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simon, will do!
      You're the first reader who has ever suggested anything...constructive. I really appreciate it.

      Your blog looks wonderful! I'll be perusing its gems :)

      Delete