Sunday, November 25, 2012

60. A Bit of Grammaring: Straightforward



Google Images
Today's post: Practice - Part Two [112]
Use and omission of prepositions

Insert a preposition if necessary. Choose from at, by, for, in, of, on, past, till/until, to, with.

1   He asked ... his father . . . money.
2   They paid ... me ... the books.
3   I thought he would offer . . . Ann the job, but he offered it. . . me.
4   Keep ... me a place, and keep a place . . . Ann too.
5   They showed ... us photographs . . . their baby.
6   Buying presents . . . children is sometimes very difficult.  ... the end I bought a kite . . . Tom and a torch . . . Ann.
7   Pass the salt. . . your father, Peter, and pass ... me the pepper, please.
8   When you have lunch ... a restaurant, who pays ... the bill?-Oh, each ... us pays . . . what he has had.
9   Paul's a pianist. He sometimes plays . . . us . . . the evening. Last night he played some Chopin.
10   I think I'll be able to find . . . Ann a job. ~ Could you find a job . . . me, too?
11   He sold the picture ... an American dealer . . . £5,000.
12   He promised ... us a share . . . the profits.
13   He built a very nice house . . . Jack . . . only £50,000. I wonder what sort. . . house he would build . . . me . . . £30,000.
14  She is knitting socks . . . refugees. I wish she'd knit... me some socks.
15   Sitting ... the floor isn't exactly comfortable. Throw ... me a cushion, please, Ann.
16   If you are going ... the Post Office, could you buy ... me a book . . . stamps?
17   If you write ... me a song I'll sing it. . . the school concert. I'll get Paul to accompany . . . me . . . the guitar.
18   Could you lend ... us your lawnmower, please?-
I'm afraid you'll have to ask . . . someone else to lend . . . you one. We've lent ours ... Mr Jones and he always keeps it. . . ages.
19  I thought you'd be late . . . dinner, so I ordered some sandwiches
. . . you; they're ... the bar. I haven't paid . . . them: you can pay ... the barman.
20   I explained . . . him that it was the custom . . . England to wash one's car at the weekend.
211 described the machine . . . him and asked . . . him if he could make ... me one like it.
22   She told ... us that she'd been attacked ... the street. We asked
. . . her to describe her attacker and she said he was a tall man ... a limp.
23   He told . . . them to wait. . . him . . . the bridge.
24  I cannot repeat. . . you what she said . . . me . . . confidence.
25   The headmaster warned ... me to work harder. What did he say . . . you, Jack?
26   He advised . . . the strikers to go back . . . work. They received his advice . . . shouts . . . contempt.
27   They don't allow . . . you to smoke . . . cinemas . . . France.
28   He told lies . . . the police. ~
I'm not surprised. He told . . . me a pack . . . lies yesterday
29   This film reminds ... me ... my childhood.
30   I rely . . . you to remind ... me to pay Jack . . . the books he bought . . . me.
31   We must try to get. . . home . . . time . . . tea.
32   We didn't reach Berlin . . . after dark, and had some difficulty . .. finding our hotel.
33   If we say 'The manager showed ... us to our room,' we mean I hat he led ... us .. . the door. If we say, 'He showed ... us I lie room,' we mean that he entered . . . the room ... us.
34   I read . . . him the report. He listened . . . me . . . amazement
35   He ordered ... us to give . . . him all the maps . . . our possession.
36   He suggested ... me that we should offer to pay . . . her . . . dollars.

Part One: Grammaring Key



1.3 The simple sentence: direct and indirect objects

1.3A Subject + verb + indirect object + direct object: 'Show me that photo'

1  Please find them for me.

2  Please buy one for him./Please buy him one.

3  Please pass it to me.

4  Please show it to her.
5  Please do it for me.
6  Please order one for me./Please order me one.
1.3B Verb + object + 'to' + noun or pronoun: 'Explain it to me'
1 this camera to the Customs   2 me to your friend/ your friend to me   3 what you like to me   4 this idea to you   5 his crime to the police   6 this to anyone 7 this man to me   8 this to anyone   9 this to the headmaster   10 what I told you to anyone
1.3C The two meanings of 'for' instead of: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9 // for your/my benefit:   1, 3, 5, 8, 10
1.3D Context
The following need ticks: 1 buy me an expensive uniform   5 write our parents a letter   7 lend anyone anything   8 give help to each other

Part Two: Use and Omission Key
Exercise 112   1 -, for   2 -, for   3-, to   4-, for   5-, of   6 for; In, for, for   7 to, -   8 in/at, -; of, for   9 for/to, in   10 -; for   11 to, for 12 -, of/in   13 for, for; of,-, for   14 for; -   15 on; -   16 to/past, -, of 17 -, at/in; -, on   18-;-,-; to, for   19 for, for, in/at; for, -   20 to, in 21 to, -, -   22 -, in; -, with   23-, for, at/by/on   24 to, to, in   25-; to 26 -, -; with, of   27 -, in, in   28 to;-, of   29-, of   30 on, -, for, for/-31-, in, for   32-, till, in/-   33 -, -, to; -, -, with   34-; to, in/with 35 -, -, in   36 to, -, in
 

4 comments:

  1. My score was 28/36 in this exercise of prepositions. Althoug it´s been a little bit long it´s worth it.

    Eugenia, thank you for all the posts.
    Helena.- I2-E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helena, I'm glad you scored so high. I'll count you in the - as yet - small group of The Bold and Brave!

      As for length, well, and are relative notions. Practice should be just for anyone who wants to benchmark his or her skills against the task.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I found this exercise very difficult. My socre was 15/36. I don't know exactly the ruels about prepositions and I would like to learn tehm.
    I understood my mistakes, more and less, but I have some doubts in the sentence n. 2 and n. 31.
    In the sentence n. 2, can I write......"They paid for me the books?"
    I know that the meaning of phrase will change but, is this option right?

    In the sentence n. 31, can I write......"We must try to get home ON TIME for tea"

    Thank you Eugenia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for trying, that's all the ABCs I know ususally do!

      The rules for prepositions come from all the expression in English. Some of them are "taken for granted", others must be practically learned by heart.

      In No 2 "They paid me FOR the books": in English you pay (money) to someone for something. Since "money" is obvious (it's what we use to carry out the action of paying) and therefore not expressed, what's left is the beneficiary (me) and the prepositional object (the concept represented by the goods exchanged, i.e., the books)

      In No 31 the case has to do with set phrases. You get somewhere IN TIME FOR something (i.e., an event), and when you are already there it is implied that you arrived ON TIME (that is, punctual, not late).

      Keep it up, Gianna!

      Delete